Rustic style is filled with natural materials, earthy colours and lots of wood! The style embraces simplicity and works to create a warm space. There are no flashy details or perfectly symmetrical table displays – rustic is all about making a space feel warm, relaxing and homely.
Natural & Weathered Materials
- Wood is one of the biggest feature of the rustic style this includes the walls, ceiling beams and flooring.
- Exposed brick or stone is also a common feature especially around fire places or just on one wall.
Colour & Pattern Features
- Patterns should be kept to a minimum and simple – nothing complicated or fancy.
- Avoid lots of paint! There should be as much natural wood as possible as well as the natural textures.
- A rustic palette includes a lot of natural colours such as browns and greys. Add subtle splashes of jewel tones or pastels to add interest.
- Animal skins such as cow and sheep can fit in perfectly with a Rustic style and of course nowadays there are so many artificial options which are more acceptable.
- Fireplaces are a large part of rustic style. They are often the focal point of a room with everything facing towards them.
- They should be made from rough unpolished stone, wood or bricks.
- Delicate textiles, such as silk and lace, don’t have much of a place in rustic interiors. Sturdy, hardworking fabrics that can take a little wear and tear feel more on point: burlap, linen, cotton, wool and canvas.
- Wicker baskets are a practical and style fitting way to create storage or to decorate your space.
- Re-purposed/Up-cycled objects will fit right in to a rustic styled space. This could include old keys, wire baskets, re-used light fittings or wooden crates.